Friday, June 11, 2010

Dr. Simon Kagugube's remarks about Brother Kyemwa


The Eagle Magazine team of 2004 Interviewed Dr. Simon Kagugube and below is an Excerpt.
Dr Simon Kagugube was at St. Mary’s College from 1970 to 1975
The Eagle: Any negative memories of SMACK?
Dr Simon Kagugube: No negative memories, none at all. A few difficult times maybe. For me it was very good. I don’t have anything to regret. I have been to America for 6 years, Yale…all over; Kisubi is the best place I have lived in period. There are no serious worries when in SMACK. No negative memories, tough moment’s maybe. When I was House Prefect for Kiwanuka there was a near strike. That was one of the most challenging moments in SMACK, not negative. We were new prefects and there was a near strike in the school. And remember these were Amin’s days they could bring Military Police! As leaders we had to balance the pressure of the students and the administration. So, we collected all the students, had them sit in the middle of the school buildings that is (Administration block, the Chapel, Chemistry Laboratory and HSc Block), we then asked them to write down all their grievances. I was assigned the role of writing out these grievances because of my good English Language. I sat in Cubicle A (HSc Building) and for the bigger part of the night I was writing. And, remember Brother Anthony Kyemwa (the Headmaster) was the type whose No! was a NO! Nonetheless, we had very good working relationship with him. There was respect for each other. I wrote out the students’ complaints and gave students to reproduce (I still have the original copy in my papers). I read it out to the students; that is before the entire school. We had to control the crowd… charisma, and I felt like a real politician. Brother Kyemwa insisted on reading it to the members of staff himself. The staff members came out asking why we were so hard. However, I am very proud of that effort.
The Eagle: Any role SMACK has played in your life?
Dr. Kagugube: My whole life in SMACK; right from S1 one is called a gentlemen. That makes you feel that you are somebody. It builds self-confidence; mine has never suffered. You never feel like anybody is better than you. You interact with very many people from all over. Education was fantastic, went to Makerere and was one of the best, excelled at Yale University for my Masters, went on for my Ph.D. I am able to fit anywhere because of such an education…
The Eagle: How would you compare yourself with say people from Buddo?
Dr. Kagugube: SMACK is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment